Friday, April 4, 2025

Rising crimes in state disturbing: UDP

Date:

Share post:

The government needs to restore people’s faith in the law-and-order machinery, says Mawthoh

SHILLONG, April 28: United Democratic Party general Secretary, Jemino Mawthoh on Sunday said the Meghalaya government has to restore the people’s trust and confidence in the state’s law-and-order machinery.
“As citizens, we are disturbed by the incidents happening. Their recurrence means that Shillong and the state beyond are not safe any more,” he said about the law-and-order situation in the state.
“People live in fear and insecurity; we do not know what will happen the next day. It is now important for the state government to pull up its socks and restore the trust and confidence of the people in its law-and-order machinery. One cannot live in an environment of fear,” he said.
The failure of the state to tighten security will lead to a spurt in criminal activities, Mawthoh warned.
He said cases of theft, murder, drug addiction and other forms of crime have been increasing in the state, indicating something is very wrong with the way the government is being run.
Such criminal activities would eventually affect tourism and the livelihoods of the people of the state, he said.
He said the government needs to work with the community and other stakeholders before things start getting worse.
Meanwhile, the State BJP has also expressed concern over the recent instances of criminal acts especially lobbing of petrol bombs in the city.
“The BJP expresses its concern on the recent cases of criminal acts especially of petrol bombs being hurled at specific locations and even targeting government functionaries,” BJP spokesperson Mariahom Kharkrang said on Sunday.
The former police official said, “The BJP appeals to the state and district police to use all the resources at their disposal to stop such criminal acts which is resulting in a negative perception of the safety by people who visit the state.”
Cabinet Minister and senior BJP leader, Alexander Laloo Hek has condemned the attack at the residence of Deputy Chief Minister Sniawbhalang Dhar.
Hek said that if anyone has any problem they should come forward to express their grievances. “But it is not right to hurl a petrol bomb like this,” he said.
Hek, however, refused to comment on whether the petrol bomb attack was linked with the incidents at Ichamati or Mawlai Mawroh.
Earlier this month, a police vehicle was torched inside the Mawlai police station premises.
Last week, bike-borne miscreants hurled a petrol bomb (a burning rag according to police) targeting an escort vehicle of the NEEPCO Director (Personnel) Maj Gen (retired) RK Jha.
In the latest incident, a petrol bomb was hurled at the Nongmensong residence of Deputy Chief Minister Sniawbhalang Dhar.

Related articles

Venkatesh Iyer silences critics with blazing 60 as KKR crush SRH

Kolkata, April 3: Venkatesh Iyer answered his critics with a match-winning 60 off 29 balls, propelling Kolkata Knight...

Can’t accept verdict, but will abide by it: Mamata

Kolkata, April 3: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Thursday said she respects the judiciary but disagrees...

JD(U) leader quits party over Waqf bill protest

Patna, April 3: JD(U) leader Mohammed Qasim Ansari on Thursday resigned from the party in protest against the...

Won’t snatch Muslims’ rights, assures Rijiju

New Delhi, April 3: Union Minority Affairs Minister Kiren Rijiju on Thursday rejected the opposition’s allegations that the...