Moyes balks at Rooney departure claim

London: Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho and his Manchester United counterpart David Moyes have clashed over the future of United striker Wayne Rooney ahead of the sides’ Premier League encounter on Sunday.

Mourinho, who failed with two bids for the England striker last year, has claimed that Rooney could be allowed to leave United at the end of the season, but Moyes issued a swift rebuttal.

With Rooney yet to agree an extension to his current contract, which expires in 2015, Mourinho hinted that the 28-year-old could be sold to a club from outside England during the close season.

“Man United made it clear in the summer they don’t swap or sell players to their direct rivals,” he said. “They were clear in the way they approached the Rooney situation. For them, it’s pretty clear. They don’t swap. They don’t sell. I think maybe this summer they will try to sell to a non-direct rival. But they were very clear.”

However, Moyes said that Mourinho’s appraisal of the situation was inaccurate.

“Only time will tell and give you the answer (about Rooney). I completely disagree. I can only tell you I disagree,” the Scot said.

Rooney will miss Sunday’s game due to injury. (AFP)

Comments
error: Content is protected !!