Guwahati: As many as 65 newborns had a miraculous escape when they were timely rescued from the baby ICU of the Gauhati Medical College and Hospital (GMCH) in the wee hours of Saturday after a fire broke out in the unit.
GMCH sources said the fire was spotted in the baby Intensive Care Unit of the hospital at about 0130 hours. Heavy smoke emitted from the unit and fire engulfed a major portion of the ICU.
Doctors and nurses on duty immediately shifted the babies out of the ICU, with the help of attendants of other patients. GMCH principal K.C. Saikia said, “The incident took place due to electrical short-circuit in one of the air conditioners installed in the unit. The smoke immediately spread out to other areas of the hospital. However, our alert employees immediately shifted all the babies to another room,”.
Fire tenders rushed to the hospital and the blaze was brought under control fast.
The principal said that all the babies were safe now.
“It could have been a major tragedy, had there been a little delay. The situation is now under control,” said Saikia. A three-member committee of senior doctors have been formed to probe the cause of the fire and asked to submit its report. (Agencies)