Thursday, April 3, 2025

Armstrong shrugs off doping agency ‘antics’

Date:

Share post:

NEW YORK: Lance Armstrong on Saturday shrugged off the US Anti-Doping Agency’s decision to file formal doping charges against him, saying he wouldn’t let it halt his cancer awareness work.

“I refuse to be distracted by @usantidoping’s antics,” the seven-time Tour de France champion said on Twitter, a day after USADA announced it had filed the charges that could cost him his seven titles in the world’s most prestigious cycling race.

“It’s 2012, I’m gonna continue to lead @LIVESTRONG, raise my 5 kids, and stay fit!” Armstrong tweeted.

A three-member review panel evaluated evidence gathered by USADA and a reply from Armstrong before unanimously voting to turn the allegations revealed on June 13 into formal charges.

The next step in the process will be a hearing before an arbitration panel. Their verdict could be appealed and the matter could be pushed to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) for a final resolution.

USADA claims it has witnesses to the fact that Armstrong and five former team associates — including Italian doctor Michele Ferrari and team manager Johan Bruyneel — engaged in a doping conspiracy from 1998-2011.

Armstrong, who won the Tour de France seven years running from 1999-2005 and used his fame to fuel his charitable work for anti-cancer causes through his Livestrong foundation, has never tested positive and the 40-year-old US cycling legend has steadfastly denied any wrongdoing.

Armstrong would be allowed to review the USADA evidence in advance and cross-examine any witnesses against him.

Last week, in his 18-page reply to USADA’s allegations, Armstrong asked the review panel to dismiss the charges, saying the anti-doping group had not offered sufficient proof.

The review panel instead dismissed his position.

Just a day ago, Armstrong said the credibility of USADA’s case has been undermined by the fact that two key witnesses, Floyd Landis and Tyler Hamilton, are confessed doping cheats themselves.

Armstrong has called the allegations against him “baseless”. (AFP)

Related articles

Myanmar hit by 66 aftershocks following deadly earthquake

Yangon, April 3: As of Thursday morning, Myanmar has experienced 66 aftershocks ranging from magnitudes 2.8 to 7.5,...

Waqf Bill will open new avenues for development of Muslim: Danish Ansari

Lucknow, April 3: Uttar Pradesh Minority Affairs Minister Danish Ansari on Thursday claimed that the passage of the...

US calculation inflates India’s tariffs on American goods: Bernstein

New Delhi, April 3: The US estimate of the tariffs imposed by India on American goods is an...

PM Modi watches Thai Ramayan, Garba performance in Bangkok

Bangkok, April 3: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday witnessed 'Ramakien', the Thai version of the Ramayan, after...