Saturday, August 30, 2025
spot_img

Monfils to skip Wimbledon

Date:

Share post:

spot_imgspot_img

HALLE (GermanY): Gael Monfils announced that he’s skipping Wimbledon again, after reaching the quarterfinals of the Gerry Weber Open on Wednesday

Monfils beat qualifier Jan Hernych 6-2, 6-3, then said he withdrew his request for a wild card at Wimbledon because he had to deal with a personal problem.

The Frenchman gave no details.

Monfils was once ranked No. 7 in the world, but the Frenchman missed several months last year because of a knee injury.

He was ranked No. 119 in May before jumping up to No. 67.

Monfils, who has never gotten past the third round at Wimbledon, said it was a pity he would have to miss it for the second straight year and fourth time in six years, especially because he felt he was beginning to play better on grass.

”I was happy, I was having fun,” Monfils said.

”Grass is not natural for me, but I am getting better. I have to focus on not falling, not injuring myself.

“I cannot take off as fast as I want to and I have problems braking.

“But I was comfortable today, I was leading all the time.” (AP)

spot_imgspot_img

Related articles

Aaranyak announces Grassroots Conservation Awards 2025 

Guwahati, August 30: Premier research-driven and people-oriented biodiversity conservation organization of the region Aaranyak (www.aaranyak.org) has announced Grassroots Conservation...

After successful Japan visit, PM Modi emplanes for China to attend SCO Summit

Tokyo, Aug 30: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday embarked on his China visit to attend the Shanghai...

Semiconductor sector important in India-Japan cooperation: PM Modi

Tokyo, Aug 30:  Semiconductor is an important sector in the cooperation between India and Japan, said Prime Minister...

Maoists kill another ‘Shikshadoot’ in Chhattisgarh’s Bastar region

Raipur, Aug 30: In another chilling case of violence, Maoists have killed another 'Shikshadoot' identified as Kallu Tati...