Thursday, April 3, 2025

Man City aim to sign new striker this month

Date:

Share post:

PRETORIA (SOUTH AFRICA): Manchester City hope to have a new striker in place by the end of this month, manager Manuel Pellegrini said on Sunday after his side lost 2-0 to South Africa’s SuperSport United in his first match in charge.

Last season’s Premier League runners-up want a replacement for Argentina forward Carlos Tevez, who has joined Juventus, and their performance in Pretoria in the first of two matches in South Africa highlighted the need for attacking reinforcements.

“We are aware that we need two or three more players,” Chilean Pellegrini told a news conference after the defeat in the friendly at the Loftus Versfeld stadium.

“It’s important to have a very good squad. I said before we came to South Africa that we need two players for each position and that’s what we are looking for and I’m sure we will get them.

“It’s difficult to say exactly which day but before the end of the month we will have a new attacker,” he added.

City, who finished 11 points behind Premier League champions and arch rivals Manchester United last term, have already bolstered their squad with the signings of Brazilian midfielder Fernandinho and Spanish winger Jesus Navas but they still have not completed all of their pre-season shopping.

“We are working hard on new acquisitions before the start of the new season but we are not in an immediate hurry to bring them on board,” said Pellegrini, who joined the club last month after the sacking of Italian Roberto Mancini.

Sunday’s match came less than a week after Manchester City’s players reported back from their summer holidays with Pellegrini fielding two different sides in each half.

The English club play a second game in South Africa on Thursday, against AmaZulu in Durban.

The will then head to Hong Kong for a four-team tournament as they continue their build-up to the Premier League season, which begins in mid-August. (Reuters)

Related articles

Trump unveils tariffs

Washington, April 2: President Donald Trump announced plans for sweeping tariffs Wednesday, saying "our country has been looted,...

SC quashes HC order against The Shillong Times

NEW DELHI, April 2: The Supreme Court of India has quashed a contempt proceeding against The Shillong Times...

Kharlukhi raps Biren for remarks on PA Sangma

SHILLONG, April 2: Former NPP state president and Rajya Sabha MP WR Kharlukhi on Wednesday criticised former Manipur...

New snakehead species of fish found in Chokpot

SHILLONG, March 2: Meghalaya has once again gained recognition in the scientific community with the discovery of a...