Thursday, April 3, 2025

Philippine ship collision: Toll rises to 34

Date:

Share post:

Manila: The death toll in the collision of two ships in the Philippines rose to 34 Sunday after the retrieval of two bodies. While 751 people were rescued, 85 were still missing, officials said.

Passenger vessel MV St. Thomas Aquianas and cargo ship Sulpicio Express 7 collided off Lawis Ledge, Talisay city, Friday night. The passenger vessel, which was bound for Cebu city, sank immediately after the incident. However, all the 38 crew members of the cargo vessel bound for Davao city were safe.

A total of 751 people on board the ill-fated ferry MV St. Thomas Aquinas have been rescued so far, Xinhua quoted Hilario Davide III, governor of Cebu province, as saying Sunday. The rescue operation, which was stopped Saturday evening due to high waves, resumed at 8 a.m. Sunday. “Hopefully more missing can be found alive,” Davide said. (Agencies)

Related articles

Trump unveils tariffs

Washington, April 2: President Donald Trump announced plans for sweeping tariffs Wednesday, saying "our country has been looted,...

SC quashes HC order against The Shillong Times

NEW DELHI, April 2: The Supreme Court of India has quashed a contempt proceeding against The Shillong Times...

Kharlukhi raps Biren for remarks on PA Sangma

SHILLONG, April 2: Former NPP state president and Rajya Sabha MP WR Kharlukhi on Wednesday criticised former Manipur...

New snakehead species of fish found in Chokpot

SHILLONG, March 2: Meghalaya has once again gained recognition in the scientific community with the discovery of a...