Saturday, April 5, 2025

Action against officials on the cards

Date:

Share post:

Job scam: Ampareen allowed to go scot free

SHILLONG: The former education Minister Ampareen Lyngdoh, under whose tenure the tampering of marks of eligible candidates for the post of government teachers took place, escaped from any action whereas the education officers including the then Director of Elementary and Mass Education (DEME) JD Sangma were held responsible for the scam.

An official source said that Education Department will take action against the education officers involved in the scam besides effecting appointment of eligible candidates (more than 300) after termination of services of those who got appointments by unfair means adopted by some officers allegedly in connivance with politicians.

Basing on the findings of the High Level Scrutiny Committee (HLSC) on education scam, Government is contemplating action against the officials involved absolving Ampareen of the faults.

According to the source, the transfer of JD Sangma from Education department was one of actions taken by Government. There are also other officers involved and action would be taken against them, the source added.

The report of HLSC, which was submitted to Government on July 29, is similar to the CBI report which unearthed large scale irregularities in the appointment of teachers.

However, the HLSC could not prove the involvement of Ampareen in the scam though her name was mentioned in the CBI report.

In its 107-page report, the CBI had observed, “It was felt necessary to examine JD Sangma , the then Director DEME .

In course of his examination Sangma has stated that under the instruction of then minister of education namely Ampareen Lyngdoh, he had to change the score sheets as prepared by all the above noted five boards duly applying white fluid on the original marks, as awarded by the members of the Board .

Sangma also handed over a file containing the list received by the said minister from different persons/ MLAs/ Ministers recommending the names of the candidates for selection as teachers in LP schools of Meghalaya.

In the past, Ampareen had pleaded innocence though there was a demand from several quarters asking her to step down taking moral responsibility for the mess.

When asked about the delay on the part of the Government to take action, an education department official said that it was due to the bandhs and agitations that the matter had been delayed.

Following the recommendation of HLSC, the Education department has segregated the tainted and non-tainted candidates to facilitate the appointment of as many as 375 after terminating the services of illegally appointed teachers.

As per the observations of HLSC, many officials indulged in deliberate complicity of the matter of vitiating or otherwise interfering with the selection process.

Related articles

Centre seeking answers to queries on ILP: Paul

SHILLONG, April 4: Amid the long-pending demand to implement the Inner Line Permit in Meghalaya, the Centre has...

My suspension from VPP was ‘premeditated’, says Adelbert

SHILLONG, April 4: North Shillong MLA Adelbert Nongrum on Friday said his suspension from the Voice of the...

All-party committee to consult stakeholders on railway projects

Hynniewtrep land will burn if govt brings rlys, pressure groups warn SHILLONG, April 4: The all-party committee headed by...

HYC threatens to block NEIGRIHMS recruitment

SHILLONG, April 4: The Hynniewtrep Youth Council (HYC) on Friday announced that it will not allow NEIGRIHMS to...