Friday, April 4, 2025

SSA U-14 football tournament updates age criteria

Date:

Share post:

SHILLONG: The Shillong Sports Association (SSA) has decided to adjust the cut-off year for the players who will participate in the upcoming under-14 football tournament as part of the preparation for the Under-17 FIFA World Cup, which will be hosted by India in 2017.

“The cut-off year of the players will now be from June 1 2000 instead of January 1 2001,” SSA secretary B Diengdoh said here on Tuesday.

He said that this decision to change the cut year was taken after the policy of FIFA was reviewed.

“So far, a majority of the clubs affiliated with the SSA have expressed their keenness to participate in the tournament,” the SSA secretary said.

He, however, added that the last date for the teams to confirm their participation is January 20.

The Association will hold an U-15 tournament next year to be followed by an U-16 event in 2016 in order to mould the players ahead of the U-17 World Cup and give them the necessary platform with an eye in making the national team.

Related articles

Historic Waqf Bill ends corruption, grants entitlements to marginalised Muslims, says MRM

New Delhi, April 4: A wave of optimism and joy swept across the nation as the Waqf Amendment...

Top Lankan ministers, Indian diaspora accord grand welcome to PM Modi in Colombo amid heavy rain

Colombo, April 4: Hundreds of locals and members of the Indian diaspora community braved heavy rain to give...

IB woman officer suicide: Trouble mounts for absconding colleague as rape charges included

Thiruvananthapuram, April 4: The Kerala Police, on the lookout for the absconding male colleague of a woman IB...

Manipur: First tripartite talks between Meitei, Kuki-Zo, MHA in Delhi tomorrow

Imphal, April 4: In a significant development, leading organisations of Meitei and Kuki-Zo-Hmar communities will hold a tripartite...