Saturday, April 5, 2025

Taliban kill nine in Kabul hotel attack

Date:

Share post:

KABUL: Taliban gunmen killed nine people, including four foreigners, in an attack on a luxury hotel used by UN staff and prominent Afghan politicians in Kabul on Thursday night, before being shot dead by security forces, witnesses and police said on Friday.
The assault on the heavily fortified Serena Hotel yesterday, which lasted some three hours, was the latest in a string of attacks by the insurgents seeking to spoil an presidential election on April 5, which would mark the first time in Afghanistan’s history that one elected government hands power to another.
Four Taliban fighters snuck past security early yesterday evening and hid inside the building for three hours before opening fire on diners inside the hotel’s restaurant, according to interior ministry spokesman Sediq Sediqqi.
They then battled Afghan special forces as terrified guests hid in rooms or fled to hotel bunkers. All the Taliban gunmen were shot dead.
During the attack guests crouched in bathrooms with the lights turned off as they listened to gunfire and people running up and down the hallways. ‘I never heard an explosion or anything. Only firearms and possible rocket-propelled grenades,’ one senior UN official said.
One of the hotel’s main saferooms packed with guests and Afghan members of parliament filled with smoke from a fire in the kitchen. ‘It was hard to breathe. People started putting wet napkins on their faces,’ one witness said.
The foreigners killed were from Canada, India, New Zealand and Pakistan, the interior ministry said. Friends and relatives of an Afghan man killed in the attack said his entire family had also been shot at close range in the restaurant.
All the 18 UN staff members known to be inside had been accounted for according to a UN official. (PTI)

Related articles

Centre seeking answers to queries on ILP: Paul

SHILLONG, April 4: Amid the long-pending demand to implement the Inner Line Permit in Meghalaya, the Centre has...

My suspension from VPP was ‘premeditated’, says Adelbert

SHILLONG, April 4: North Shillong MLA Adelbert Nongrum on Friday said his suspension from the Voice of the...

All-party committee to consult stakeholders on railway projects

Hynniewtrep land will burn if govt brings rlys, pressure groups warn SHILLONG, April 4: The all-party committee headed by...

HYC threatens to block NEIGRIHMS recruitment

SHILLONG, April 4: The Hynniewtrep Youth Council (HYC) on Friday announced that it will not allow NEIGRIHMS to...