Saturday, April 5, 2025

Protest mars funeral of Azam in Bangladesh

Date:

Share post:

Dhaka: Protest rallies were held during the funeral of Bangladeshi war criminal Ghulam Azam here, demanding that the body of former chief of fundamentalist Jamaat-e-Islami be sent to Pakistan for burial there.

Five handmade bombs exploded near the Baitul Mokarram National Mosque ahead of the arrival of Azam’s body at the mosque for funeral prayer, but no casualty was reported, police said.

“The janaza of a war criminal can never be held at the national mosque,” Ziaul Hasan, chairman of Bangladesh Sommilito Islami Jote, an alliance of progressive Islamic parties, said at a human chain near the mosque.

92-year-old Azam, who was sentenced to 90 years in jail for masterminding atrocities during the 1971 independence war against Pakistan, died on Thursday at Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University hospital in the capital Dhaka after suffering a stroke.

He was buried at the family graveyard in the capital.

He was kept at the hospital’s prison cell since his arrest three years ago for 1971 war crimes.

He was suffering from old age ailments including heart and kidney disorders.

Last year Azam, the ideological linchpin of Jamaat, was sentenced to 90 years in jail after being found guilty of charges relating to 1971 war of independence with Pakistan.

Azam, who has left deep emotional scars in the collective national psyche by engineering war-time atrocities in 1971, was found guilty of all five categories of crime – conspiracy, planning, incitement, complicity and murder.

His conviction sparked deadly protests by Jamaat and widespread celebration amongst secular groups.

Azam, however, declined to have committed any crime in 1971 and refused to regret. (PTI)

Related articles

Centre seeking answers to queries on ILP: Paul

SHILLONG, April 4: Amid the long-pending demand to implement the Inner Line Permit in Meghalaya, the Centre has...

My suspension from VPP was ‘premeditated’, says Adelbert

SHILLONG, April 4: North Shillong MLA Adelbert Nongrum on Friday said his suspension from the Voice of the...

All-party committee to consult stakeholders on railway projects

Hynniewtrep land will burn if govt brings rlys, pressure groups warn SHILLONG, April 4: The all-party committee headed by...

HYC threatens to block NEIGRIHMS recruitment

SHILLONG, April 4: The Hynniewtrep Youth Council (HYC) on Friday announced that it will not allow NEIGRIHMS to...