Developed By: iNFOTYKE
‘Yes, we discussed HC order’
Shillong: Following the clarification from the Synjuk Ki Rangbah Shnong (SKRS) on Monday, some Rangbah Shnong who spoke to this reporter informed that the statement issued by RL Blah that the Synjuk never discussed the issue of defying the High Court order is factually incorrect.
“We discussed the High Court order clause by clause and at least two of the Rangbah Shnong (elderly persons) had stated publicly that the Rangbah Shnong would continue to issue NOCs to residents and that they are ready to face the consequences,” said G Bruce Sawkmie, Rangbah Shnong of Laitumkhrah.
Sawkmie said he could not understand why the Rangbah Shnong who uttered these words did not have the courage of conviction to stand by their statement.
On the issue of the National Register of Citizens (NRC) for which the Rangbah Shnong and NGOs had been invited by the Deputy Commissioner, East Khasi Hills for consultation, many Rangbah Shnong were of the view that they should not attend the meeting since they had been de-recognised by the High Court and the Government. Other Rangbah Shnong however, were of the view that they would attend the meeting called by the DC but would stage a walk-out in protest.
It may be mentioned that the SKRS had met on Saturday to discuss the fall-out of the High Court ruling terming the Dorbar Shnong as a ‘parallel government.’ This news had been reported by the media but was immediately denied by the SKRS thereafter.
Meanwhile, as per the decision of Saturday’s meeting, a delegation of headmen of Greater Shillong under the banner of Synjuk Ki Rangbah Shnong on Monday met the State Chief Secretary Barkos Warjri and sought his intervention for giving recognition to the traditional heads.
The members who met the Chief Secretary, however, refused to divulge the outcome of the meeting and instead said that a statement would be issued later.
Sources said that they urged the Government to pass a legislation legally empower them.