Saturday, April 5, 2025

Burning of crops: Headman refutes BSF allegations

Date:

Share post:

SHILLONG: The headman of Nongtrai village on Monday refuted allegations of the BSF that he had himself burnt the crops with the motive of seeking compensation, and reiterated that Bangladeshi intruders had burnt the crops.
B. Lyngdoh also dismissed the BSF claims that their crops had been damaged by forest fire. “Jhum cultivation is not undertaken in those areas having areca nut and other horticulture plantations.
Alleging that Bangladeshis have an easy access to Nongtrai  Elaka, Lyngdoh further said that plundering and pilfering of areca nut plantations by Bangladeshis was a common affair.
It may be reminded that the BSF had claimed that local villagers had themselves set the area on fire for Jhum cultivation but the fire had gone out of control.

Related articles

Centre seeking answers to queries on ILP: Paul

SHILLONG, April 4: Amid the long-pending demand to implement the Inner Line Permit in Meghalaya, the Centre has...

My suspension from VPP was ‘premeditated’, says Adelbert

SHILLONG, April 4: North Shillong MLA Adelbert Nongrum on Friday said his suspension from the Voice of the...

All-party committee to consult stakeholders on railway projects

Hynniewtrep land will burn if govt brings rlys, pressure groups warn SHILLONG, April 4: The all-party committee headed by...

HYC threatens to block NEIGRIHMS recruitment

SHILLONG, April 4: The Hynniewtrep Youth Council (HYC) on Friday announced that it will not allow NEIGRIHMS to...