Thursday, April 3, 2025

Egyptian army kills 40 rebels in North Sinai

Date:

Share post:

CAIRO: At least 40 militants have been killed in Egyptian army’s major ground and aerial offensive in the volatile North Sinai region, a day after 15 soldiers and two civilians died in separate attacks by Islamist militants.
The army launched ground and aerial offensives against terrorists’ hideouts in the south of Sheikh Zuweid, killing the militants, an official said on Saturday.
Twenty militant headquarters and seven vehicles belonging to the terrorists were also destroyed in the offensive yesterday, the official said.
“There are countries that support terrorists and provide them with money and weapons,” the unidentified official told the Al-Ahram Arabic newspaper.
The official said five militants were arrested during the ground offensive that followed the airstrikes.
“The air raids will continue in different parts of North Sinai,” the official said.
The raids came a day after the simultaneous terrorist attacks on Thursday on five army checkpoints in North Sinai that killed 15 soldiers and two civilians.
Sinai-based terrorist group Ansar Beit Al-Maqdis, which recently pledged allegiance to Islamic State militant group, has claimed responsibility for the attacks.
Egypt’s Sinai has witnessed many violent attacks by militants since the January 2011 revolution that toppled former president Hosni Mubarak.
The attacks targeting police and military officials increased after the ouster of Islamist president Mohamed Morsi in 2013.
More than 500 security personnel have been reported killed in such attacks since then.
The military has launched security campaigns in the area, arrested suspects and demolished houses belonging to militants, including those facilitating tunnels leading to the Gaza Strip. (PTI)

Related articles

Trump unveils tariffs

Washington, April 2: President Donald Trump announced plans for sweeping tariffs Wednesday, saying "our country has been looted,...

SC quashes HC order against The Shillong Times

NEW DELHI, April 2: The Supreme Court of India has quashed a contempt proceeding against The Shillong Times...

Kharlukhi raps Biren for remarks on PA Sangma

SHILLONG, April 2: Former NPP state president and Rajya Sabha MP WR Kharlukhi on Wednesday criticised former Manipur...

New snakehead species of fish found in Chokpot

SHILLONG, March 2: Meghalaya has once again gained recognition in the scientific community with the discovery of a...