Saturday, April 5, 2025

‘Searching Parrikar’s house will embarrass nation’

Date:

Share post:

Panaji: A Goa court has stayed a warrant issued by a lower court to search the official residence of Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar in Delhi to trace convicted former state minister Francisco ‘Miccky’ Pacheco as the state government held that execution of the order will be an embarrassment to the nation.
Pacheco has been convicted for assaulting a junior engineer. Seeking a stay on the lower court’s order on warrant last night, the BJP-led government submitted in the district court that searching the official residence of the Defence Minister would cause an “embarrassment to the nation.”
The state made the submission before the district court while challenging the order of Judicial Magistrate First Class who had issued the warrant to search 10, Akbar Road residence of Parrikar. Hours after JMFC, Bosco Roberts, issued the warrant to search 10, Akbar Road residence of Parrikar, district judge P V Sawaikar stayed its execution on the state government’s appeal that the police cannot search Parrikar’s house since it is a military property.
Additional Public Prosecutor Mahesh Amonkar, appearing on behalf of the state, also told the court that “such a warrant would be embarrassment to the Defence Minister, the Prime Minister and the nation.”
He also said that there was no need for a separate search warrant for police as they have already been asked to arrest Pacheco. Social activist and lawyer Aires Rodrigues had last week approached the JMFC, Margao, submitting that Goa police are not doing enough to track Pacheco and that there was “information” that Pacheco was “hiding” at 10, Akbar Road.(PTI)

Related articles

Centre seeking answers to queries on ILP: Paul

SHILLONG, April 4: Amid the long-pending demand to implement the Inner Line Permit in Meghalaya, the Centre has...

My suspension from VPP was ‘premeditated’, says Adelbert

SHILLONG, April 4: North Shillong MLA Adelbert Nongrum on Friday said his suspension from the Voice of the...

All-party committee to consult stakeholders on railway projects

Hynniewtrep land will burn if govt brings rlys, pressure groups warn SHILLONG, April 4: The all-party committee headed by...

HYC threatens to block NEIGRIHMS recruitment

SHILLONG, April 4: The Hynniewtrep Youth Council (HYC) on Friday announced that it will not allow NEIGRIHMS to...