Thursday, April 3, 2025

M’laya districts, Karbi Anglong to share project information

Date:

Share post:

NONGPOH: The deputy commissioners of three districts, including West Karbi Anglong, have decided to share information about projects take up by Meghalaya and Assam in the border areas so that implementation of the same is not affected.
The deputy commissioners – Ri Bhoi’s Rosetta Mary Kurbah, West Jaintia Hills’ Garod LSN Dykes and West Karbi Anglong’s Debojyoti Hazarika – met at the Circuit House here on Thursday to discuss all border-related issues, including land dispute at Block I and Block II. Superintendents of police and other officials of the three districts were also present.
“The representatives of both the states have come to a decision that developmental works taken up in the disputed border areas should not be obstructed provided the three district heads of Ri Bhoi, West Jaintia Hills and West Karbi Anglong coordinate and inform their counterparts before doing so to avoid conflict,” Mansing Rongpi, MLA of Baithalangso (Karbi Anglong), who was also present at the meeting, told reporters later.
However, Rongpi said permanent demarcation of disputed land was not discussed as it rested on the two governments to decide.
On the KHADC statement demanding return of Block I and Block II to the council, Rongpi refused to comment because “this is a matter that needs intervention of the Centre, the Assam and the Meghalaya governments”.
“Such meetings will also be organised in near future to maintain peace and harmony in the disputed area,” he added.
A review meeting on border issues was held in the evening and it was attended by Rongpi, Executive Member of Karbi Anglong Autonoumous Council in-charge Land and Revenue Rupsing Teron, Umroi MLA George B Lyngdoh, KHADC Executive Member Latiplang Kharkongor, Umroi MDC James Sylliang and others.
Border forum
Kharkongor said it was decided that a border forum will be formed with the objective to find a lasting solution to the pending border issues, including the dispute over Block I and Block II, as well as permanent demarcation of the disputed land, “which lies on the district council as empowered by the Constitution”.
Earlier in the meeting, representatives from Meghalaya had expressed concern over frequent demolition of government structures being implemented by the Meghalaya Government at Block I and Block II by unknown miscreants, “which hamper peace and tranquility in these areas and should not be repeated in near future”.

Related articles

Trump unveils tariffs

Washington, April 2: President Donald Trump announced plans for sweeping tariffs Wednesday, saying "our country has been looted,...

SC quashes HC order against The Shillong Times

NEW DELHI, April 2: The Supreme Court of India has quashed a contempt proceeding against The Shillong Times...

Kharlukhi raps Biren for remarks on PA Sangma

SHILLONG, April 2: Former NPP state president and Rajya Sabha MP WR Kharlukhi on Wednesday criticised former Manipur...

New snakehead species of fish found in Chokpot

SHILLONG, March 2: Meghalaya has once again gained recognition in the scientific community with the discovery of a...