Friday, April 4, 2025

Two HNLC cadres languishing in Sylhet jail

Date:

Share post:

No response from Govt on negotiation: Ex-rebel

SHILLONG: The former general secretary of HNLC, Cherishstarfield Thangkhiew on Tuesday said two HNLC cadres have been languishing in Sylhet jail for 20 years.
Thangkhiew said he had earlier taken up the matter with the state government and the police after the cadres had already completed their jail sentence.
But there were no pro active steps on the part of the government to bring them back to the state.
Thangkhiew said he remembers the cadres as Mill from War Jaintia area and Obar from Mawlai Nonglum.
According to the former rebel leader, the state government can impress upon the Centre for the release of the cadres after following due procedure.
To a question on his offer as a mediator to bring the remaining HNLC cadres to the negotiating table, Thangkhiew said that there was no response from the government in this regard.
“There was no feedback from the government regarding the matter”, Thangkhiew said.
Earlier, the Deputy Chief Minister Prestone Tynsong and Home Minister James Sangma had said the government was keen to hold talks with the HNLC.
The outfit, in several statements issued to the media, had said it was not willing to surrender as political talks are necessary.

Related articles

Venkatesh Iyer silences critics with blazing 60 as KKR crush SRH

Kolkata, April 3: Venkatesh Iyer answered his critics with a match-winning 60 off 29 balls, propelling Kolkata Knight...

Can’t accept verdict, but will abide by it: Mamata

Kolkata, April 3: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Thursday said she respects the judiciary but disagrees...

JD(U) leader quits party over Waqf bill protest

Patna, April 3: JD(U) leader Mohammed Qasim Ansari on Thursday resigned from the party in protest against the...

Won’t snatch Muslims’ rights, assures Rijiju

New Delhi, April 3: Union Minority Affairs Minister Kiren Rijiju on Thursday rejected the opposition’s allegations that the...