Thursday, February 22, 2024

Punjab MP urges swift visa issuance to Canadian Indian diaspora

Date:

Share post:

spot_img

Shillong, October 27: Vikramjit Singh Sahney, a Member of Parliament from Punjab, engaged in a conversation with India’s High Commissioner to Canada, Sanjay Kumar Verma, to expedite the issuance of visas to the Canadian Indian diaspora.

He highlighted the existing backlog caused by visa suspensions and called for its prompt clearance, advocating for visas to be granted within 7-10 days from the time of submission to BLS Visa Application Centers.

As per IANS, Sahney, who actively pursued the resumption of visa services, conveyed his message via a social media post on [X], formerly known as Twitter. He emphasized that 70 percent of visas for Indo-Canadians are processed through BLS in nine cities, with the remaining 30 percent being walk-ins to the Indian High Commission and consulates. In case of emergency situations such as death, serious illness, or weddings, he urged applicants to utilize the Suvidha Portal to apply to the nearest Indian consulate.

Sahney also underscored the importance of addressing fringe elements that aim to disrupt the peaceful atmosphere and harm the Indo-Canadian community. He encouraged individuals to take pride in their Indian heritage.

Additionally, Sahney appealed to the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) to consider the issuance of E-visas in exigent circumstances. This move comes after India’s recent decision to ease diplomatic tensions with Canada by reinstating visa services in categories including Entry, Business, Medical, and Conference.

This decision follows a diplomatic dispute related to the killing of Khalistani terrorist Hardeep Singh Nijjar on June 18 in British Columbia. Canada welcomed India’s decision, considering it a positive step after a period of uncertainty for many Canadians.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

spot_img

Related articles

Merchants across India continue to use Paytm and its pioneering devices

Shillong, February 22: One 97 Communications Limited (OCL), that owns financial services major Paytm, has received immense support...

Israel foreign ministry to distribute Hamas atrocities report globally

Shillong, February 22: Israel‘s foreign ministry will distribute globally a report of the Association of Aid Centers for...

Drone-dropped IED found near international border by BSF in J&K’s Kathua

Shillong, February 22: An Improvised Explosive Device (IED) was recovered by the BSF after the troops fired at...

Jammu-Srinagar National Highway Update: Vital link to Valley closed for fourth consecutive day

Shillong, February 22: The strategic Srinagar-Jammu national highway remained closed for the fourth consecutive day on Thursday due...