Friday, April 4, 2025

Attack on father-son duo: Forum seeks action against Mangaldoi market vendors

Date:

Share post:

 

Guwahati, May 21: Prabajan Virodhi Manch (PVM), a forum against illegal immigrants, has urged the municipal board in Mangaldoi, and superintendent of police, Darrang, seeking action against some vendors, allegedly of Bangladeshi origin, for grievously assaulting an indigenous vegetable vendor and his son at a market in Mangaldoi last month.

In a statement issued here, PVM convener Upamanyu Hazarika said that on April 24, 2024, Jiten Deka, a vegetable vendor, was “obstructed, severely beaten and threatened by some vendors of Bangladeshi origin” for selling his produce at the daily bazar operated by the Municipal Board in Mangaldoi.

“When Deka’s son, Sasanka came to his assistance upon being called, he was severely beaten up with lathis and sharp weapons, causing injuries that necessitated treatment at Mangaldai Civil Hospital. The incident was captured on video and it became viral on social media and news channels,” Hazarika said.

“However, no action has been taken even after Malaya Deka, wife of Jiten Deka, lodged a complaint at Mangaldoi Sadar Police Station. Thereafter, upon protest demonstrations by the inhabitants of Howly village, where the Dekas reside, a complaint was finally registered on May 4, 2024, after which one person was arrested,” he said.

Hazarika further said that the video showed several persons beating and chasing the father-son duo. “But only one person has been arrested. Even the Municipal Board, Mangaldoi has not taken any action against the vendors in the market,” he alleged.

PVM has on May 17, 2024 written to the chairperson of the Mangaldai Municipal Board, Nirmali Devi, seeking cancellation of the licenses of the offending vendors so that they cannot sell their produce in the market.

“We have also on the same day addressed a representation to Prakash Sonowal, superintendent of police, Darrang, to take immediate action against the other offenders who are seen in the video as well as all those associated with the crime,” Hazarika said.

The forum observed that the incident reflected the increase in atrocities of people of Bangladeshi origin in Assam, following the BJP’s policy of appeasement of Bangladeshi Muslims by seeking their vote and support in the present general elections.

“Until and unless NRC re-verification is carried out, 80 lakh Bangladeshis detected as foreigners and safeguards and reservation of land, jobs, etc., granted to the indigenous, Assam is headed towards becoming a Bangladeshi majority state,” the forum’s convenor predicted.

Related articles

Rupee strengthens against dollar amid Trump’s reciprocal tariffs

New Delhi, April 4: The Indian rupee witnessed sharp gains on Friday at below 85 against dollar, as...

Kareena Kapoor, Anupam Kher, Sunny Deol and others honor the legacy of Manoj Kumar

Mumbai, April 4: In heartfelt tributes to the iconic actor and filmmaker Manoj Kumar, B-Town celebs such as...

When Manoj Kumar spoke about life’s uncertainty and the inescapable reality of death

Mumbai, April 4: An old video of the late Manoj Kumar, sharing his profound thoughts on life's uncertainty...

PM Modi unveils 21-point action plan at 6th BIMSTEC Summit

Bangkok, April 4: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday presented a comprehensive 21-point action plan during the sixth...