Friday, August 29, 2025
spot_img

Govt issues warning against extortion on NH-6

Date:

Share post:

spot_imgspot_img

By Our Reporter

SHILLONG, Aug 28: Citing a few cases of highway extortion, Cabinet Minister Paul Lyngdoh on Thursday said unlawful acts by people claiming to be the members of social organisations will not be tolerated.
“This is a matter of great concern. We do not expect so-called NGOs to act as criminals. I will flag this issue with the Deputy Chief Minister (in charge of Home Police). He is not in the station currently,” he said.
Earlier this month, the police in Ri-Bhoi arrested five members of the Hynniewtrep National Youth Movement for extortion along the Umdihar-Nongpoh-Umsning stretch of NH-6. The police said that a group led by one Syngkli was repeatedly stopping tourist taxi vehicles on this stretch at night and extracting Rs 3,000-6,500 from them.
Lyngdoh said such criminal intimidation not only harms individual drivers but also directly threatens Meghalaya’s growing tourism sector, which supports countless families and livelihoods.

spot_imgspot_img

Related articles

Salman shares glimpses of family’s Ganpati celebrations

Superstar Salman Khan, who currently hosts the reality show Bigg Boss 19, is drenched in the festive spirit...

Top Boy actor Micheal Ward granted bail over rape, sexual assault charges

British actor Micheal Ward was granted bail Thursday after appearing at a central London court to face charges...

Short film Jadugoda set for worldwide premiere

Ultra Media & Entertainment Group announced the global release of the thought-provoking short film Jadugoda, which sheds light...

Cate Blanchett on the red carpet for the opening ceremony and the premiere of

Cate Blanchett on the red carpet for the opening ceremony and the premiere of La Grazia during the...