Developed By: iNFOTYKE
At least 19 killed in suicide attack on Afghan protesters
Jalalabad: A suicide attack on protesters in eastern Afghanistan on Tuesday killed at least 19 people, officials said, as an uptick in violence across the country dampens hopes for peace talks and elections.
Another 57 people were wounded in the blast in Nangarhar province, where demonstrators had blocked a highway in protest over the appointment of a local police chief, provincial governor spokesman Ataullah Khogyani said.
Provincial health department spokesman Inamullah Miakhil confirmed the number of dead and wounded. “Dozens of wounded people have been brought to Jalalabad hospitals so far,” Miakhil added. The attack came hours after a double bombing in front of a girls’ school in the provincial capital Jalalabad, which killed a boy and wounded four others. The first explosion happened in front of Malika Omaira girls’ school at around 8:30 am (0400 GMT), Khogyani told AFP earlier.
A second bomb went off as students from a neighbouring boys’ school and locals gathered at the scene, he added.
There has been no claim of responsibility for any of the attacks, but the Taliban and the Islamic State (IS) group are active in Nangarhar, which borders Pakistan.
A wave of violence across Afghanistan in recent weeks has claimed the lives of hundreds of civilians and security forces, as the Taliban makes gains on the battlefield and IS launches deadly urban attacks.
The fighting has tempered optimism that had been tentatively growing as Afghan and international players ratchet up efforts to convince the Taliban to negotiate an end to the 17-year conflict.
An unprecedented ceasefire in June followed by talks between US officials and Taliban representatives in Qatar in July raised hopes that peace negotiations could bring an end to the fighting.
There has been speculation the two sides will meet again this month. The Taliban have long insisted on direct talks with Washington and refused to negotiate with the Afghan government, which they see as illegitimate.
But newly appointed US envoy Zalmay Khalilzad has cancelled further talks with the militants until he has reviewed the American strategy, a Western official in Kabul told AFP on the condition of anonymity. (AFP)