Friday, April 4, 2025

Japan to deploy interceptors to counter North Korean launch

Date:

Share post:

Moscow: Japan will deploy missile interceptors on a southern island chain ahead of a planned North Korean satellite launch in April, Japanese broadcaster NHK reported Tuesday.

The defense ministry will take preparations including deploying its Aegis-equipped destroyers and the land-based Patriot Advanced Capability-3 missile systems on the Sakishima islands, NHK said.

Defense Minister Naoki Tanaka has earlier warned he may issue orders to shoot down the rocket if it posed a danger to Japan.

Tanaka told parliament he would only act “with the approval of the prime minister”.

Last week, North Korea announced plans to launch an earth observation to mark the 100th birthday of its late founding leader Kim Il-sung in April.

The move is seen as a violation of a UN Security Council resolution and has drawn international condemnation. The US and other countries suspect that the launch is a thinly veiled ballistic missile missile test.

But Pyongyang accused its critics of attempting to encroach on its sovereignty and said it had no intention of cancelling the plans. (IANS)

Related articles

Venkatesh Iyer silences critics with blazing 60 as KKR crush SRH

Kolkata, April 3: Venkatesh Iyer answered his critics with a match-winning 60 off 29 balls, propelling Kolkata Knight...

Can’t accept verdict, but will abide by it: Mamata

Kolkata, April 3: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Thursday said she respects the judiciary but disagrees...

JD(U) leader quits party over Waqf bill protest

Patna, April 3: JD(U) leader Mohammed Qasim Ansari on Thursday resigned from the party in protest against the...

Won’t snatch Muslims’ rights, assures Rijiju

New Delhi, April 3: Union Minority Affairs Minister Kiren Rijiju on Thursday rejected the opposition’s allegations that the...