Friday, April 4, 2025

Pot Pourri

Date:

Share post:

Paris hospital halts stool study after donor deluge
Paris: A Paris hospital which made a public appeal for stool samples for a study on intestinal diseases said Friday it had suspended the project after being inundated by donors hoping for an easy 50 euros.
“We had to cancel the call for donors and halt the study because it had gotten out of control,” professor Harry Sokol, the gastroenterologist leading the study at the Saint-Antoine hospital, told AFP. Originally donors were sought via posters at the hospital and at medical schools, offering compensation of 50 euros (USD 57) if accepted. “Someone took a picture and it spread rapidly on the internet and social media, because the message had been altered: People thought it meant: Give us your stools, we’ll give you 50 euros,” Sokol said.
The telephone hotline and email for potential donors was quickly overwhelmed, “and even after we cut off the number people were calling the hospital switchboard, some even showed up in person, and it’s still going on,” he said. In fact the rigorous selection progress for the study, on a potential treatment for intestinal inflammation, involved a series of blood and stool tests as well as an extensive interview on a donor’s medical history.
Doctors worldwide are studying fecal transplants, which aim to treat a range of chronic gut diseases by introducing stool bacteria from a healthy person into affected patients to help replenish a normal bacterial balance. Fecal transplantation — also known as bacteriotherapy — can help counter symptoms and infections caused by C. difficile colitis, harmful bacteria which can proliferate especially after antibiotic treatment kills off too many beneficial bacteria in the digestive tract.
“It’s a very serious, large-scale study, with a long waiting list of patients” hoping to participate, Sokol said, adding that many were “devastated” over the project’s suspension. (AFP)

London to ban junk food adverts on public transport
London: Adverts for foods and drinks that make people fat are going to be banned on public transport in London.
The ban on so-called “junk” food adverts comes early next year and covers London’s buses, tube trains, rail network and trams, Xinhua news agency reported.
“Junk” food adverts will also be banned at bus stops and tube and some train stations, under plans announced Friday by London Mayor Sadiq Khan.
The ban will come into effect next February, and follows public consultation by Khan this May which saw 82 per cent support among the public for a ban on “junk” food adverts. “Junk” food adverts targeted by the ban include food and non-alcoholic drinks considered to be high in fat, sugar and salt including sugary drinks, cheeseburgers, chocolate bars and salted nuts. (IANS)

Related articles

Venkatesh Iyer silences critics with blazing 60 as KKR crush SRH

Kolkata, April 3: Venkatesh Iyer answered his critics with a match-winning 60 off 29 balls, propelling Kolkata Knight...

Can’t accept verdict, but will abide by it: Mamata

Kolkata, April 3: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Thursday said she respects the judiciary but disagrees...

JD(U) leader quits party over Waqf bill protest

Patna, April 3: JD(U) leader Mohammed Qasim Ansari on Thursday resigned from the party in protest against the...

Won’t snatch Muslims’ rights, assures Rijiju

New Delhi, April 3: Union Minority Affairs Minister Kiren Rijiju on Thursday rejected the opposition’s allegations that the...