Friday, April 4, 2025

Indonesia flash flood death toll rises to 21

Date:

Share post:

Jakarta: The death toll from a flash flood in Indonesia’s South Sulawesi province rose to 21 on Wednesday with two people still missing, an official said.
National Disaster Mitigation Agency spokesman Raditya Jati said search and rescue operations were hampered by thick mud covering roads and houses, and rain was continuing to fall.
Ten other people were injured in the flooding, which affected six subdistricts in the province, he said.
As of Wednesday evening, 2,650 people had been evacuated.
North Luwu district official Indah Putri Indriani said the flooding began Monday evening and was triggered by heavy rains that caused three rivers to overflow.
Heavy rains cause frequent landslides and flash floods in Indonesia, where millions of people live in mountainous areas or near flood plains. (AP)

Related articles

Rupee strengthens against dollar amid Trump’s reciprocal tariffs

New Delhi, April 4: The Indian rupee witnessed sharp gains on Friday at below 85 against dollar, as...

Kareena Kapoor, Anupam Kher, Sunny Deol and others honor the legacy of Manoj Kumar

Mumbai, April 4: In heartfelt tributes to the iconic actor and filmmaker Manoj Kumar, B-Town celebs such as...

When Manoj Kumar spoke about life’s uncertainty and the inescapable reality of death

Mumbai, April 4: An old video of the late Manoj Kumar, sharing his profound thoughts on life's uncertainty...

PM Modi unveils 21-point action plan at 6th BIMSTEC Summit

Bangkok, April 4: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday presented a comprehensive 21-point action plan during the sixth...