Saturday, April 5, 2025

SWGH rape accused in police net

Date:

Share post:

By Our Reporter

SHILLONG: After four days of hiding, the accused in the South West Garo Hills (SWGH) rape case, Rakhal Hajong (22) was nabbed by police from Garobadha in the district on Monday afternoon.

Informing this, SWGH Superintendent of Police, R Muthu said the accused will be produced before the court on Tuesday.

“He was in hiding in Garobadha and after much persuasion, the accused came out to the road and the arrest was subsequently made”, Muthu said.

It was last week, when the labourer Hajong allegedly raped a five-and-a-half-year-old girl at Boiragipara village under Garobadha near Ampati in SWGH.

Compensation for victim

The SWGH rape victim was on Monday granted a compensation of Rs 50,000 under the Meghalaya Victim Compensation Scheme 2011 by the District Legal Service Authority of West Garo Hills.

Informing this, the chairman of the West Garo Hills District Legal Service Authority, Pravin Bakshi, who is also the Deputy Commissioner of the district, said that the absence of a district legal Service Authority in South West Garo Hills has authorized him to give consent to the same.

The matter was discussed in a meeting held between the district social welfare officers, district medical health officer, police and the members of the district legal service authority whereby it was decided that the girl being a minor should receive the maximum limit of compensation for rape victims which is Rs 50,000.

“The girl is currently undergoing treatment in Tura and her condition has improved. She will be discharged in a couple of days”, Bakshi said adding that the girl will be provided with all the basic needs.

Bakshi also informed that he had communicated with the Deputy Commissioner of South West Garo Hills Ram Singh to transfer the case to the Tura Fast Track Court for speedy trial.

“There is a need to transfer the case to the Tura FTC as this is also a very serious case. The manner in which the victim was attacked is very brutal and the accused should be booked as per law”, the DC added.

Meanwhile, despite several attempts, the Deputy Commissioner of South West Garo Hills was not available for comments.

Related articles

Centre seeking answers to queries on ILP: Paul

SHILLONG, April 4: Amid the long-pending demand to implement the Inner Line Permit in Meghalaya, the Centre has...

My suspension from VPP was ‘premeditated’, says Adelbert

SHILLONG, April 4: North Shillong MLA Adelbert Nongrum on Friday said his suspension from the Voice of the...

All-party committee to consult stakeholders on railway projects

Hynniewtrep land will burn if govt brings rlys, pressure groups warn SHILLONG, April 4: The all-party committee headed by...

HYC threatens to block NEIGRIHMS recruitment

SHILLONG, April 4: The Hynniewtrep Youth Council (HYC) on Friday announced that it will not allow NEIGRIHMS to...