Sunday, April 6, 2025

China blocks BBC website as Hong Kong tensions rise

Date:

Share post:

SHANGHAI: Chinese censors have blocked the website of Britain’s national broadcaster, the BBC said in a statement late, coming as tensions rise in Hong Kong between pro-democracy protesters and police.
The broadcaster yesterday said that the move seemed to be ‘deliberate censorship’.
It did not say what may have prompted the move by Beijing, which also blocks the websites of the New York Times, newswire Bloomberg and the BBC’s Chinese language website.
‘The BBC strongly condemns any attempts to restrict free access to news and information and we are protesting to the Chinese authorities.
This appears to be deliberate censorship,’ said Peter Horrocks, director of the BBC World Service Group.
The BBC’s English-language website was still inaccessible in China today morning.
In Hong Kong, police used pepper spray early today to stop pro-democracy protesters from blocking a major road near the office of the city’s embattled leader amid public anger over the police beating a protester a day earlier.
Hong Kong is a Special Administrative Region of China.
A Chinese official told foreign media in Hong Kong yesterday that China has seen interference in the city’s pro-democracy protests from outside forces and called on international journalists to report ‘objectively’.
Earlier this month a Chinese court issued new rulings clamping down on what ‘netizens’ can say and do online, a reflection of Beijing’s desire to influence popular opinion, both online and offline.
This is not the first time the BBC has been blocked in China. In 2010, the broadcaster’s website was blocked for several days, which coincided with the Nobel Peace Prize award ceremony for Chinese dissident Liu Xiaobo.
According to China-based anti-censorship group Greatfire.org the BBC’s English-language website has been partially blocked in the last 90 days. It was only fully blocked yesterday.
‘The BBC provides impartial, trusted news to millions of people around the world, and attempts to censor our news services show just how important it is to get our accurate information to them,’ added Horrocks. (PTI)

Related articles

Shillong, Jowai students bag top position in SSLC merit list

 Leisha Agarwal from St Margaret’s HS School and Avila Kathrene P Lyngdoh of North Liberty HS School, Jowai jointly...

High pass percentage triggers applause, critical questions

Our Bureau SHILLONG, April 5: Meghalaya’s Secondary School Leaving Certificate (SSLC) pass percentage jumped from 55.80% in 2023 to...

Govt distances itself from NEIGRIHMS controversy

By Our Reporter SHILLONG, April 5: The Meghalaya government has distanced itself from the ongoing imbroglio in NEIGRIHMS which...

AAI notifies tender for expansion of Shillong Airport

By Our Reporter SHILLONG, April 5: The Airports Authority of India (AAI) has issued a tender notice for the...