Friday, April 4, 2025

NGT for more money to Ksan victims

Date:

Share post:

SHILLONG: The NGT panel has stressed the need on the part of the state government to provide compensation, besides the interim relief paid, to the families of miners trapped in the Ksan coal mine in East Jaintia Hills.
Retired judge BP Katoki, who is heading the NGT panel, said as only Rs 1 lakh was provided to each of the affected family, there is a need to provide compensation on humanitarian ground.
The families of seven trapped miners from Rajabala have also demanded more compensation. Quoting the relatives, Rajabala MLA Azad Zaman said he had met the families and they desire to get more compensation for the losses.
“The authorities concerned should look into the plea of the relatives,” he said.
Earlier on March 22, petitioner in the Supreme Court Aditya N Prasad visited only two families at Lumthari. Three trapped miners are from Lumthari and the families of six trapped miners are in Assam.

Related articles

Venkatesh Iyer silences critics with blazing 60 as KKR crush SRH

Kolkata, April 3: Venkatesh Iyer answered his critics with a match-winning 60 off 29 balls, propelling Kolkata Knight...

Can’t accept verdict, but will abide by it: Mamata

Kolkata, April 3: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Thursday said she respects the judiciary but disagrees...

JD(U) leader quits party over Waqf bill protest

Patna, April 3: JD(U) leader Mohammed Qasim Ansari on Thursday resigned from the party in protest against the...

Won’t snatch Muslims’ rights, assures Rijiju

New Delhi, April 3: Union Minority Affairs Minister Kiren Rijiju on Thursday rejected the opposition’s allegations that the...