Saturday, August 30, 2025
spot_img
Home Blog

Now, Laitumkhrah vendors’ survey on cards

0

By Our Reporter

SHILLONG, Aug 29: The High Court of Meghalaya on Friday issued several directions to the Shillong Municipal Board (SMB) on the presence of hawkers in Laitumkhrah, while pointing out that its report on the hawkers in the area does not project a good picture at all.
A registered society named Seng Samla Laitumkhrah “Ieng Skhem Ha Ka Hok” had submitted an application, seeking the extension of the action on the street hawkers of Police Bazar to the Laitumkhrah area. The court took cognisance of the application and directed the SMB to file a report on the number of street vending licenses issued in the Laitumkhrah area, with the names of the licensees.
Accordingly, the SMB filed a report to the court. “The facts which emerge from this report do not project a good picture at all. It appears that there is a large number of hawkers in the Laitumkhrah area. None of them possesses any certificate of vending or a vending licence,” the Division Bench comprising Chief Justice IP Mukerji and Justice W Diengdoh said.
According to the SMB, only 22 out of 122 vendors are “eligible under the provisions of the scheme” for trading. This implied that these 22 do not possess any licence despite being “eligible”, the court said.
“It is not very clear what the Board means, but it has stated ‘additionally 48 vendors claimed themselves as street vendors’. So, the summary is that 122 plus 48 street vendors are operating in the above area without any licence,” the court said.
According to the court, it further appeared that the survey of street vendors was carried out between January 12 and 16 in 2024, and it is highly likely that the figure has increased today. It noted that the SMB did not conduct any inspection or survey after the court’s order on August 14. Expecting more concerted action from the SMB under such circumstances, the court asked it to undertake a thorough survey in the Laitumkhrah area and prepare an inventory of the street vendors within three weeks from Friday. It sought details such as names, the merchandise sold, the area occupied by each, and the period from when each had been vending.
“The Board, with the help of the administration, including the local police, will ensure that, till further orders, not a single additional vendor is allowed to trade in that area. To prevent such acts, a strict vigil has to be maintained.
“The Board will consider all pending applications before it for the grant of certificates of vending/vending licences and consider those applications in accordance with the law within eight weeks from the date,” the court said, adding that this should include the 22 found “eligible” earlier.
The court said the SMB may give an opportunity to those vendors who are “eligible” but have not made applications or who do not have licences to apply for them, and shall process the same in accordance with the law.
At the same time, the SMB and the administration were directed to identify a suitable place for the relocation of the licensed vendors. The state and the Board were also directed to file a joint or independent report to the court.

Govt rejects reports of Assam looking to step in if Meghalaya aborts

0

National Games 2027

By Our Reporter

SHILLONG, Aug 29: Sports and Youth Affairs Minister Shakliar Warjri on Friday reaffirmed that Meghalaya is fully prepared to host the National Games 2027, firmly dismissing reports suggesting that Assam might step in if Meghalaya withdraws.
“There is no doubt that Meghalaya will successfully host the National Games in 2027. I have not received any such information regarding Assam stepping in,” Warjri told reporters.
He stressed that the state remains confident and committed to hosting the mega sporting event. “I want to reassure everyone that the state is fully ready to host the National Games,” he reiterated.
Warjri also shared that discussions are still under way regarding the distribution of sporting disciplines among other Northeastern states, which are expected to co-host some events. “We’ve had only one round of meetings with other states in the region. Final decisions will be made in future rounds,” he said.
Reports suggest that Assam is not particularly keen on co-hosting, citing ongoing construction of most of its sports infrastructure. However, it is understood that Assam may consider bidding to host the entire Games if Meghalaya fails to meet deadlines.
So far, Tripura is the only Northeastern state to positively confirm its role, agreeing to host gymnastics. Other states have expressed interest in hosting disciplines that Meghalaya is already prepared to conduct on its own. Meanwhile, Warjri announced that the state government has earmarked Rs 1,900 crore for the development of sports infrastructure over the next three years, which will also aid preparations for the National Games. “The specific allocation for the Games is yet to be finalised. We’ll deliberate further before sharing the exact figures,” he said.
In addition, the Sports department plans to construct hostels to support athletes from remote parts of the state. “We are planning to construct these hostels in the parking area of Polo Ground,” Warjri revealed.

Talks can address cabbies’ demand to ban taxis from outside: Official

0

By Our Reporter

SHILLONG, Aug 29: Commissioner and Secretary of Home Department CVD Diengdoh, who heads a government-constituted committee examining the issues of tourist taxi associations, said the demands for restricting the entry of taxis from outside the state into tourist spots in Meghalaya must be looked at from multiple perspectives rather than a single viewpoint.
Speaking to media persons here on Friday, Diengdoh said discussions were held with the taxi associations. He said some of their issues will require consultations with different stakeholders, including hoteliers and tour operators.
The committee suggested subsidising the parking fee at the Guwahati Airport as it is too high. The department concerned is looking into it, Diengdoh said, adding that the other issues of the associations should be taken up with the state government for discussions.
Asked about possible repercussions of restricting taxis from outside the state in Meghalaya, he said these issues have to be looked at from all perspectives given the involvement of multiple stakeholders.
“One should exercise care while taking decisions, and assess their possible impact,” he stressed.
He also said that the committee explored various ways so the issues can be addressed. He added that discussions were held to explain to the associations why it is difficult to implement some of their suggestions.
Earlier, Tourism Minister Paul Lyngdoh had cautioned that restricting the entry of vehicles from outside the state could trigger a backlash in Assam, affecting the movement of the people of Meghalaya to the airport, railway stations, and hospitals in Guwahati.

M’laya man found dead in Kerala rly toilet

0

By Our Reporter

SHILLONG, Aug 29: On the journey to his destination after securing a hospitality job, 26-year-old Jonathan Rynjah from Mawlai Nongkwar Block-1 was tragically found lying dead in a toilet at a railway station in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala.
His grieving parents were informed of the tragedy after receiving a call from Kerala police on Friday morning. They now face the painful dilemma of bringing their son’s body home, as they lack the financial means to do so.
Speaking to reporters at the Mawlai police station on Friday night, Jonathan’s father, Rakesh Shabong, said the family could not fully understand the circumstances of their son’s death due to communication barriers with the Kerala police.
He recalled that Jonathan had left for Kerala on August 26 after securing a hotel job in Thiruvananthapuram through the help of a former colleague. Jonathan had previously worked in Kerala but was forced to return to Shillong during the Covid-19 lockdown.
“Recently, he told us he would return to Kerala to look for work again,” Rakesh said. The father further revealed that the last call he received from Jonathan was on the morning of August 27, when his son informed him that he had boarded a train from Guwahati. Since then, the family had been unable to contact him despite repeated attempts.
The distraught father said it was impossible for the family to travel on their own to Kerala to claim the body, appealing to authorities, public representatives, and the state government for urgent assistance.
“We are helpless. We do not have the financial resources to bring back his body,” he said.
The parents have also sought help from the Rangbah Shnong of Nongkwar, Moon Rumnong, who has assured some support to the family.
Meanwhile, Mawlai police remain in touch with their counterparts in Kerala to gather more details about the circumstances surrounding Jonathan’s death.

SMB tenders for urban infra work violates Sixth Schedule: MDC

0

By Our Reporter

SHILLONG, Aug 29: Laban-Mawprem independent MDC Ricky Shullai on Friday slammed the Shillong Municipal Board (SMB) for floating tenders to construct roads, footpaths, and drains in several urban KHADC constituencies, terming it a violation of the Sixth Schedule.
Speaking to reporters after meeting KHADC Chief Executive Member (CEM) Shemborlang Rynjah, Shullai said it was unprecedented for the municipal board to implement schemes meant for urban MDC constituencies falling under the Sixth Schedule area.
He revealed that he had come across a tender floated by the SMB on Thursday, which included construction of a motorable road and drain under Jaiaw MDC constituency, and footpath and drain works in Mawkhar–Pynthorumkhrah, Laban-Mawprem, and Laitumkhrah-Malki MDC constituencies.
Calling the move unacceptable, Shullai said, “This is an insult to the electorate who elected us to represent them in the KHADC, an autonomous body under the Sixth Schedule.”
He pointed out that the decision came even as discussions between the KHADC and the state government on the allocation of schemes under the 15th Finance Commission were still ongoing. He added that both the KHADC Executive Committee and he, at a personal level, were in consultation with the government regarding confusion over the allotment of schemes in urban constituencies.
Expressing concern, Shullai warned that the SMB’s action poses a serious threat to the authority of the Council. “By allowing schemes meant for the people of the MDC constituencies in the Sixth Schedule areas to be handed over to an outside body, the powers of the Council are being sidelined,” he said.
Reaffirming his stand, Shullai stated, “As an MDC elected from the 15 Laban-Mawprem Constituency, I strongly oppose this manner of functioning. I have taken this issue seriously and urged the CEM of the KHADC to immediately intervene and seek clarification from the state government.”
He assured his constituents and the public at large that he would continue to safeguard the powers and essence of the District Council. He further added that he would ensure schemes meant for the people are not diverted or taken away.

State keen on pvt investments in hydropower sector

0

By Our Reporter

SHILLONG, Aug 29: The Meghalaya government is keen to invite private investments in the hydropower sector with the added benefit of availing up to 13 per cent free power, even as it has started working on phase II of the Myntdu Leshka Hydro Electric Project (MLHEP).
Sanjay Goyal, Managing Director of Meghalaya Energy Corporation Limited (MeECL), on Friday said the government is going as per the resource adequacy plan, prepared by the Central Electric Authority, to generate more power in order to meet the state’s increasing demands.
“We are exploring some tie-ups for solar power and even for hydropower, as the DPR for the second phase of MLHEP is at an advanced stage,” he said.The first phase of MLHEP, which generates 126 MW of power, was commissioned in 2012.
As the state recently got a boost with the commissioning of the Ganol Hydro Power projects, it now wants to explore the possibility of working with a private developer to avail of the benefits of 13 per cent free power.
Goyal said the Pump Storage Project (PSP) will be beneficial for the developers as well as for the state, and negotiations are on with different agencies to see the kind of benefits which Meghalaya will get with the setting up of the PSP.
Stating that the idea of thermal projects has not been abandoned, Goyal said the government is hoping to receive some proposals once there is more clarity on the scientific mining of coal that has just started.
Meanwhile, the MeECL is confident that there will be no scheduled load shedding in Meghalaya throughout the festive season till March-April next year, as the state is now in a comfortable position and some tie-ups have also been made for the dry season.
Goyal said whatever disruptions are taking place are due to rain and the felling of trees, as turbulent weather often uproots the poles and snaps the conductors of MeECL.
Also, power is shut down at times due to the upgradation of infrastructure in terms of lines, replacement of poles and transformers, and even for charging new substations. “The impact of all these upgradations will be visible by next year,” Goyal said.

Police mandate tarpaulins for trucks carrying loose materials

0

By Our Reporter

SHILLONG, Aug 29: In a move aimed at ensuring road safety and cleanliness, the Office of the East Khasi Hills Superintendent of Police (Traffic) has issued strict instructions for all trucks transporting sand, mud, and other loose materials to remain covered with tarpaulin while in transit.
The directive comes in the wake of repeated observations that several trucks have been plying on city roads carrying such materials uncovered, resulting in spillage along roadways.
Officials noted that this not only causes inconvenience to daily commuters but also poses significant traffic hazards with the potential to trigger accidents.
Meanwhile, the order has also clearly stated that violators will be penalised under the provisions of the Motor Vehicles Act.
The police have further urged all transporters and truck operators to comply with the directive in the larger interest of public safety and to maintain road cleanliness.
The measure is part of the district’s ongoing effort to improve traffic management and reduce preventable accidents caused by negligence in goods transportation.

 

Today in City

0

The 5th Inter School Quiz Competition will be organised by Laban Bengalee Boys’ Higher Secondary School in its auditorium, Kailash Mancha, from 11 am onwards. According to a statement, the programme will be attended by South Shillong MLA Sanbor Shullai as the chief guest.

The Meghalaya AIDS Control Society will organise two events, namely ‘Youth Uncut: Real talk on HIV’ at State Central Library, Shillong, and ‘Youth Sensitisation programme’ with Seng Samla Presbyterian at the premises of the Presbyterian Church, Jhalupara, Lower Mawprem, from 11 am onwards.

Cabinet rejig involving party’s MLAs an internal matter: HSPDP

0

By Our Reporter

SHILLONG, Aug 29: HSPDP Cabinet Minister Shakliar Warjri on Friday said the issue of the state cabinet reshuffle involving the party’s two MLAs is an internal matter.
“Let us wait for the party meeting to take a decision. Whatever the party decides, I am ready to accept,” he said.
Asked whether there was an agreement to share the cabinet berth with party MLA from Mawshynrut, Methodius Dkhar, Warjri maintained he could not comment until the party holds discussions.
“We will make an official announcement once the party decides,” he added.
It may be mentioned that the HSPDP leadership has conveyed its intention to ensure that both its MLAs are given an opportunity to serve in the cabinet.
The party clarified that discussions are still in progress and that a final decision will be taken after due consultation.
HSPDP president KP Pangniang revealed that the party was considering a way to share the cabinet berth between its two legislators and that the decision would take some time.
He explained that the issue was under internal discussion and that the party would meet at the appropriate time to finalise the matter before informing the public.
At present, the lone cabinet berth allotted to the HSPDP in the MDA 2.0 government is held by Shakliar Warjri, who serves as the Minister of Sports and Youth Affairs.
The other party MLA, Methodius Dkhar, has not been inducted into the cabinet so far, though he is understood to be keen on serving in a ministerial role as well.
The development comes as the MDA government nears the halfway point of its current term. Speculation about a cabinet reshuffle has been gaining ground not only within the HSPDP but also among other coalition partners such as the BJP, NPP and UDP, where several MLAs who have not yet been given ministerial responsibilities are hoping for inclusion.
Although anticipation of a reshuffle is high, the MDA leadership has so far remained silent.
Political observers note that a cabinet expansion or reshuffle could take place in September this year, following the State Assembly session.

Paul stresses storytelling’s role in preserving culture

0

By Our Reporter

SHILLONG, Aug 29: Arts and Culture Minister Paul Lyngdoh on Friday underscored the importance of storytelling in safeguarding cultural identity as he attended the special screening of Apot–A Presage of Tiewlarun at the LARITI Auditorium, Shillong.
In his address, the minister said that storytelling is one of the strongest mediums to preserve traditions and cultural roots. He expressed his gratitude to the team involved in the project, including Raphael Warjri and his casting team, for their dedication in bringing the Khasi folktale to life on screen.
Lyngdoh described the project as a winner and conveyed confidence that the film had the potential to achieve recognition not only at the national level but also on international platforms.
Praising the artistic interpretation of Tiewlarun, he said that the film had done justice to the folklore that generations in Meghalaya had grown up listening to.
He also said the project would serve as an inspiration for young filmmakers, encouraging them to explore indigenous stories through cinema.
Apot is rooted in the Khasi folktale of Tiewlarun, a forbidden flower believed to bring misfortune. The narrative tells the haunting story of a brother and sister who remain the only survivors of a village struck by plague. Despite her brother’s warning, the sister disturbs the sacred Tiewlarun, setting in motion a tragic chain of events that unfolds as a tale of love, loss and fate.
The film goes beyond its narrative by presenting Meghalaya’s scenic grandeur, capturing its hills, forests and traditions, offering audiences both a cultural journey and a cinematic experience.